TTS 3.9 – Finally, Something Right

Yep – it actually looks like Tacx’s outsourced programmers have extracted their collective digits and fixed a problem, without creating another one.

Today, I managed three separate rides, one a steady state ride from the VR DVD “Argus Tour 2010” – where I did a simple 6 miles of the route, pausing occasionally, deliberately stopping the wheel, and seeing if the regular “Lost Connection with Brake” message came up.    Nope.    Woo-Hooo!!!!  Details of the ride on Garmin Connect Here.

Second Ride was one of the Ergo Rides – very strange, you follow a pro-rider or two, and the trainer gives you a resistance level that matches the power ratings that the pro’s SRM system recorded on the ride.   Of course, for them it’s a nice gentle recovery spin, and for me, it would have been murder.   So – there’s the option to “turn down” the wattage. I rode this demo at 60% intensity of what the Schleck Brothers did.     Now – to be honest, I’d NEVER been able to run one of these ERGO videos without an almost instant crash.   The entire 6 minute worked flawlessly, and I’m actually looking forward to trying some of the other ergo video’s when I get rid of this cold!  Anyway – ride details via GC are here.

The Third ride was another VR DVD ride – a simple descent of the Gerlos pass, from the Grossglockner DVD.  This was a cracker of a warmdown – as I mentioned above, I’m actually full of cold – and I just enjoyed the fact that the machine was stable, and I made it all the way down the hill.     No crashes, no snags, no hiccups, just get on and ride.    Like it should have been 4 months ago when I bought it, but it hasn’t been until today!   Again, details from this ride are on GC here.

All the rides were exported as .HRM files, and quickly converted via SportsTracks3 and a couple of Plugins into Garmin compatible .TCX files, for export into Garmin Connect – I have standardised on GC for the simple reason that my last 3-4 years worth of rides are in there, so I don’t really want to abandon it…

 

Advertisements

Grrr…. “Lost Communication with Brake Unit”

The bane of my riding sessions on the Tacx.   Since the new version 3.8 of the TTS software, rather than just dying on it’s arse the software pops up a messsage that it’s lost its connection with the Brake Unit.    The thing is, the message box pops up on screen, but the connection resumes, and the ride and logging continues.   Problem is, the message box is in the middle o the screen, obscures the prime real-estate of the video, and theres no way to dismiss it other than stopping your training session and having to start again.    At least it does give an option to save the ride status up to the crash.

Anyway – I managed, after a fair degree of buggeration, to ride the first 40km of the Etape du Tour 2010 video – From start of Video, over the Col De Marie-Blanque and finishing just over 40km later, in the flat section before the Col du Soulor.     I’ve concatenated the individual Polar .HRM files to a single file, then ran it through SportsTracks 3‘s TCX Export routine, to get a Garmin Connect compatible file.    I’m not pretending for one moment that the data didn’t need a little tidying up – after all there was a 12 minute hole in the middle of the 2 separate files, so HR data for example definitely needed a tweak – I basically straight lined the HR data from the end of the first file, until it met the second.    I’m now going to trawl the Tacx website for possible solutions so that tomorrows ride won’t have to frig around like this…

Anyway – Ride details are here in Garmin Connect.